Wednesday, January 25, 2012


I have been prototyping lately for a potential client. So I made this apron. It has the benefit of being reversible, since the ties are encased within the seam allowance.  I don't know if the job will actually go forward at this point, as I don't control the decision-making, but I enjoyed the process of putting my own stamp on an apron design, and putting forward some good work.  It took three iterations to get to this point.  The picture shows the back side of a frontlit tarp. It is blackened to prevent show-through.

I learned that thinner billboards -- front lit tarps -- work better than the thicker backlit tarps. The backlit ones are so robust and are better suited for things like wallets.

I added an iPod pocket so the chef can listen to tunes while cooking. But of course the pocket could be any size.

This apron uses 1" twill tape, which has tooth in it so it will stay tied. I was glad of previous experiments in working with various edging materials so I knew that the twill tape would be suitable.

I did a back stitch to reinforce the attachment point of the twill tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment